- Serves: 16 People
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cooking: 20-25 minut
- Calories: 2016
- Difficulty: easy
Twisted donuts also called kkwabaegi are a famous bakery item of Korea. Korean Doughnuts or donuts are very delicious treat as they are crunchy and sweet from outside and soft spongy from inside.
For making these fried twisted Korean donuts make sure the oil is fresh and make them with care so they taste better and are cleaner and cheaper than what you can get on a bakery. These twisted doughnuts are best right after making them, spongy on the inside when you tear them open with the steam pouring out. Tasty and fluffy!
The key to making beautiful kkwabaegi or twisted donuts is to make sure that when you roll them, the center is just a bit thinner than the edges. That way, when you twist them, the end is nice and tight and not lumpy. These donuts taste great with milk and if you want to make these more sweeter than what is in the recipe add more sugar in the dough.
As always I shared a step by step recipe of how to make Twisted Korean fried donuts along with pictures of every step. Enjoy!
- In a small bowl take luke warm milk and add yeast and sugar in it. Mix it and cover the bow. Leave it for 10 minutes so that yeast could get activated.
- In another mixing bowl take al purpose flour, salt, baking powder and mix everything well.
- Add melted butter or ghee in the flour.
- Add egg and activated yeast mixture in the flour and give a mix to everything.
- Little by little add water and knead a soft dough. The dough will be sticky in the start but as much you will need it elasticity will be developed in it. Knead it for 8-10 minutes with hand. If you are using electric or stand mixer knead the dough for 4-5 minutes.
- When you see the dough is smooth and soft then it is ready. Place it in the bowl and grease the top of the dough and bowl with some oil.
- Cover the bowl with a cling wrap or lid and let the dough rest for at least 1 hour in any warm place or until it gets double in size.
- After the dough is proofed take it out of the bowl and knead it again on clean surface for 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle some flour and divide the dough into 4 equal parts.
- Take one part and divide into 4 equal pieces.
- Dust some flour on the working surface, take a piece of dough and roll it out so it forms a rope.
- When you roll out the dough, move one hand upward and the other downward so that the rope is twisted in between your hands as you roll it. Repeat the process for all portions of dough.
- Cover the made donuts and let these rest again for 30 minutes.
- In a wok take cooking oil for deep frying and heat it on medium to ow flame.
- One by one drop the donuts in this oil and let these cook on low flame. Do not over crown the pan.
- Flip the sides of donuts occasionally until they gets evenly golden brown and crunchy form outside.
- Take the donuts out in a bowl and fry all the donuts in the same way.
- When donuts are still hot add caster sugar in the bowl and shake it well so that sugar could be well coated on donuts.
- Delicious twisted fried Korean donuts are ready to serve.
- ____________Note: You may add some cinnamon powder in the sugar as well for final coating as per your choice.
You may also like