- Serves: 8 People
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cooking: 60 min
- Calories: 0
- Difficulty: easy
Potli pulao is also called yakhni pulao. It is a rice recipe in which garam masalha is used in a potli/cloth. It is a delicious subcontinent recipe.
- In a large pan or pressure cooker add meat, onion, garlic, ginger, coriander powder, salt, cumin seeds and pieces of 1 large onion.
- take a muslin cloth or any disposable kitchen towel and put all the spices (black pepper, kali ilachi, coriander seeds, dried red chili, cinnamon, cloves) into it. Tie it up and put it into the meat.
- put 5 cups of water in it and let it cook on medium to high heat with covering the lid.
- Wash and soak the rice for about 20 minutes.
- Put oil in another pan/ pateela.
- Thinly slice remaining onions and let them fry in the oil on medium heat until they changes their color to nice brown,
- When the meat in the pressure cooker gets tender remove the potli/cloth with spices from the meat.
- Take out the meat now and add it to the onions. Fry it on a high heat. fry it for almost 10 minutes or until it turns to a nice dark red color.
- Add the green chilies in it.
- Measure the remaining water in which meat cooked and if it is less add simple water in it as we need about 7 cups of water for our quantity of rice.
- Add this stock to the meat and let it boil.
- you can taste the salt at this stage and adjust it as per your taste. Remember the sauce at this stage should be a bit salty from your normal taste because after adding rice in it it will soak the extra salt.
- When the water starts boiling strain the water from rice and add in it.
- Let the rice cook on medium high flame till water remain half to 1 inch above the rice.
- Take a kitchen towel, cover the lid with it and put the rice on dam for 20-25 minutes on very low flame.
- After 20 minutes open the cover and serve the rice.
You may also like