- Serves: 5 People
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking: 30 minutes
- Calories: 1122
- Difficulty: easy
Chicken kadai is a famous street food in Pakistan. Most of the people when dine out chicken karahi is included in their ordered food because of its taste. Although we Pakistani love to eat dhaba style chicken karahi still we do not feel good when the gravy becomes short and only the chicken remains at the end.
Karahi or kadai is a thick, circular, and deep cooking vessel similar to a wok but with a steeper side and smaller base. It allows lots of surface area for high heat cooking. South Asian cooking demand searing on high heat and Karahi is a perfect vessel to achieve desired results. In English their are no specific names for karahi you just call it wok.
Karahi is a tomato-based curry with very few spices like ginger, garlic, green chilies, cumin, coriander, and pepper. But today I am sharing a different version of chicken karahi as it includes onions in it. This recipe is called street style masala chicken karahi. This Pakistani style chicken karahi With gravy Recipe tastes very delicious. I hope you will like it.
- Take a frying pan and dry roast all the karahi spice mix ingredients on low flame for few minutes. The spices will release their aroma, take these out, do not let these burn. Let the spices cool down completely and then grind these into a fine powder.
- In karahi add cooking oil and then add chicken pieces in it on maximum high flame of your stove.
- Add salt and black pepper powder in it.
- Stir fry the chicken till it becomes golden in color. While frying the chicken will release some juices dry these as well on high flame.
- When the chicken become golden in color remove it from karahi and put it aside. After frying the chicken is half done now.
- In the same oil and karahi add finely chopped onions. Fry the onions on medium flame till they become soft but do not change their color.
- Add ginger garlic paste in the onions and fry now till the onions turn golden and oil separates.
- Add garama masala powder, black pepper powder and turmeric in the onions, mix and fry for almost a minute so that spices could get mixed with gravy.
- Now add fried chicken and prepared karahi spice mix powder along with chopped tomatoes in the gravy and give a good mix.
- Cover the pan and let the chicken cook for 10-15 minutes on medium to low flame. (You may add 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of water in the chicken at this stage if you feel that gravy is less or chicken is dried).
- After the time street style masala chicken karahi with extra gravy is ready. Take it out and garnish with chopped fresh coriander, julienne cut ginger and lemon wedges. Serve with naan or roti.
You may also like