- Serves: 3 People
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cooking: 30-35 minut
- Calories: 330
- Difficulty: easy
Khatte bainagan or eggplant curry is a popular dish of Kashmir and a must have in most Muslim weddings. The recipe of khatta baigan varies from region to region and today I am sharing a desi style recipe of khatta baigan. This succulent delight tastes delicious with rice items like veg biryani, pulao or plain rice but it can also be paired up with Indian flat breads like roti, paratha and phulkas. ‘khatta’ means sour and ‘baingan’ stands for eggplant or brinjal or Aubergine. It is prepared almost all over India and in all seasons. It is very simple and easy recipe and can be prepared very quickly without investing much time and efforts. It also requires easily available and limited ingredients to get prepared. It is very healthy and ideal recipe for kids or aged people. Below is the detailed step by step recipe of how to make khatte baigan at home with pictures of every step. Do try this recipe and share your feedback with me.
- Cut baingan (eggplant) in large thick slices and put in a bowl.
- Add salt, red chili powder, turmeric and rice flour over these cut slices of baingan and rub the masala over the baingan completely.
- Take enough oil for frying of baingan in a pan and put it on medium flame.
- When the oil heats up fry the baingan in it till they get golden brown.
- In another pan add cooking oil and put it on medium flame.
- Now put the five spices (cumin, mustard seeds, fennel seeds, black cumin) and bay leaf in the cooking oil and fry for few seconds so that the spices could release their aroma.
- Add sliced onion in it and saute till the onion turns light brown.
- Add some water in the pan and then put ginger garlic paste in it. Give a stir to everything and then add red chili powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, salt in it. Mix everything well and saute for 7-8 minutes on medium flame.
- Then pour in the tamarind paste mix it and add the sugar in it. If you do not want to add sugar you can skip it.
- Pour in the hot water and add the fried baingan in it now.
- Time to time pour the gravy on the baingan so that they could absorb the sour flavor.
- Add green chilies in it, cover the pan and let the gravy cook for 2 minutes.
- Delicious khatte baingan are ready to enjoy.
You may also like