- Serves: 7 People
- Prep Time: 40
- Cooking: 20
- Calories: 280
- Difficulty: easy
- recipeCategory: Bread
- description: home made pita bread recipe, Commercial Shawarma / Pita Bread without Oven, how to make pita bread at home, home made pita bread, home made shawarma bread, easy pita bread recipe, no oven pita bread recipe
- recipeCuisine: Pakistani
- keywords: home made pita bread recipe, Commercial Shawarma / Pita Bread without Oven, how to make pita bread at home, home made pita bread, home made shawarma bread, easy pita bread recipe, no oven pita bread recipe,
- recipeYield: 7
- prepTime: PT30M
Locally acquired pita/ shawarma bread (like locally acquired sandwich bread) is usually a few days old. Warm, fragrant home made pita is clearly superior, cost efficient, and there's somewhat of a thrill when the breads puff up. When you get its hang, it will not felt difficult.
- Take a bowl and add sugar, salt, baking powder, yeast and mix these ingredients with water. Mix until sugar dissolves.
- Now gradually add all purpose flour in it and knead the dough. The dough should be soft.
- Combine the dough and then take it out of the bowl on the working surface knead it again, just pull and push the dough until it became smooth and not sticking to the working surface or hands.
- At this stage grease the dough with oil, cover it with a cloth or cling film and let it proof at room temperature or any warm place for about 30 minutes.
- After the time take the dough out. Dust the working surface with some flour and roll it into length.
- Divide the dough into equal size portions. 160 grams of weight is good for each portion to make a commercial size shawarma bread.
- Roll the divided dough portions into balls, cover these and let rest for almost 10 minutes again.
- Heat a double sided heavy bottom tawa/pan on very low flame for 10 minutes at the lowest point of your stove. (you may take any other metal cover for this purpose as well if you do not have double sided pan at home).
- Pre heat the cover as well because we need to provide heat like oven to the bread.
- Dust some flour and roll the dough flat with help of rolling pin. The thickness should not be too much or less we require medium thickness about 1/8 inch thick (it should be thick more than a roti).
- Place the pita bread on pre heated pan and cover it with pre heated metal cover.
- After 1 minute check the bread it should be fluffed up. Flip the other side the bottom side will be cooked but without any brown spot or color.
- Cover and let it cook again for 1 minute.
- Pita bread is ready. Repeat the process for remaining dough.
- Store in any airtight bag in the refrigerator.
You may also like